Bespoke cover from Gallagher, specialist broker to the fitness industry

    In order to work in any Australian fitness facility, you should have public liability and professional indemnity insurance to protect you against potential legal action from clients and members.

    At AIF we are pleased to refer our community to Gallagher to find the right cover for the activities they perform in their roles as fitness professionals. As a member of the AIF community (AIF Warrior or Network Member) you may receive discounts on your insurance with Gallagher. If you’re not yet a member of AIF's Network, click here for more information about joining.

    As a fitness professional, you need an insurance policy that is not only affordable and convenient, but also provides you with the confidence to prescribe and undertake the physical activities that are integral to your role. Please refer below for FAQ’s and details on how you can protect yourself with fitness professional insurance from Gallagher.

    Ready to sign up, or have questions about your specific insurance needs? Please contact Gallagher below.

    *Insurance available in Australia only.


    Who is Gallagher?

    Gallagher is an international insurance brokerage, risk management and consulting firm, operating in 45+ countries. It is the chosen partner to more than 100,000 Australian businesses, from small operations through to multinational corporations and brands.

    Through our network across Australia, we understand local business communities.

    What is Professional Indemnity Insurance?

    Professional Indemnity Insurance covers you for claims that arise when a third party, usually a client, alleges that your professional advice, design or service as a fitness instructor or personal trainer was negligent and caused them a loss or injury. The loss could be any or all of the following: bodily injury, property damage or financial loss. So, if a third party makes a claim against any wrongdoing, mistake or breach of professional duty, Professional Indemnity protects the assets and reputation of you and your business.

    What is Public Liability Insurance?

    Public Liability covers a claim against you for bodily injury and property damage to a third party, that arises from the operation of your business as a fitness instructor or personal trainer. A claim may arise as a result of negligence by you or your staff, such as failing to demonstrate reasonable care for others, resulting in injury.

    What activities am I covered for?

    You are covered for the activities that you are suitably qualified to instruct anywhere within Australia, so long as you are not running your own commercial premises or home studio. Please note, if you are not qualified for the activities which you are teaching, you are not covered. For example, if you are teaching Pilates classes, you must have a qualification to do so.

    AIF’s Network members program includes AIF, AUSactive (formerly Fitness Australia) or Physical Activity Australia approved and endorsed courses. If your qualification is CEC or CPD approved, then this is included in the Scope of Practice under the AIF members program.

    What do I do if I have a claim?

    When you receive a letter of demand, you need to send a copy of the letter and all communication relating to the incident, including the incident report, to as soon as you receive the letter of demand. Gallagher will then be able to assist you with the claim, notify the insurer and handle the claim on your behalf.

    Alternatively, if you would like to discuss a potential claim, please contact the team on 1800 222 012 for assistance.

    Can I do outdoor sessions?

    Yes, you can do outdoor sessions provided you have permission from your local council to be using the outdoor areas. Also, as an outdoor environment cannot be controlled in the same way that indoor ones such as a gym, extra care needs to be taken when conducting classes or sessions outside.

    What is my excess?

    It is $250 for all AIF member policies*.

    *Any extra policies / sections that trigger referral may vary this excess.

    How can I pay for my insurance?

    There are various payment options available to you, including BPay, Credit Card, EFT, BillPay and monthly instalment.

    Will I receive any documentation?

    Once payment is made, a Certificate of Currency and insurer schedule is issued (generally within 48 hours). Please contact us if you require your documentation sooner by emailing a copy of the payment receipt to and requesting a Certificate of Currency.