This course is for fitness professionals who want to enhance their clients training experience by assisting them with labour and birth preparation tools, as a part of their fitness program and assist them in planning for their post natal recovery.
- Learn about strategies for preparing clients for labour and birth in the fitness setting
- Explore using tools to prepare your clients for labour during aerobic training
- Understand the basic concepts of the three stages of labour
- Strength training strategies that can be used in the third trimester to prepare for labour
- Explore different ways to teach your clients to use stretches to enhance their preparation for labour and birth positions
- Understand ways to prepare the pelvic floor for birth and postnatal recovery
- Explore using training intensity changes for labour training
- Learn about modifying resistance exercises to protect the pelvic floor during pregnancy
- Teaching client’s relaxation and breathing awareness strategies to use in labour
- Explore how you can teach your clients to apply relaxation principles learned during pregnancy to use in the postnatal period to assist the adjustment from pregnancy to motherhood
- Learn how to prepare and equip your clients with a postnatal recovery
- Understand available client instruction and information resources for fitness professionals
- Understand some of the postnatal issues that clients may experience that require referral for postnatal physiotherapy or medical follow
- Understand when to refer when to refer a client to a Women’s, Men’s and Pelvic Health Physiotherapist, Medical Practitioner or musculoskeletal Physiotherapist for conditions requiring attention that are outside the scope of a registered fitness professional.
All attendees should hold at least a Certificate III in Fitness or equivalent. It is also assumed that you have an understanding of the physiological changes of pregnancy, and knowledge on safe prescription of exercise for women who are pregnant, including precautions and contraindications to exercise.
CEC Expiry Date: 31/08/2025. Lifetime access to course content. In order to obtain AusActive CECs, this course must be completed by the CEC Expiry Date.